ISO 9001 is a global quality standard that is recognised across all sectors. It belongs to the ISO 9000 family and enables an organisation to publicly demonstrate its commitment to product or service quality. Certifying to this standard helps companies to gain greater control over their processes, reduce the costs of low quality, optimise their schedules, increase productivity and assess and minimise risks. It also supports them in accessing new markets and fostering relationships of trust with new clients.
ISO 9001:2015 update
ISO (International Organization for Standardization ) amended the ISO 9001:2008 standard for quality management systems on 15th September 2015 in order to improve certain aspects of the 2008 version, such as putting increased emphasis on leadership and interested parties.
This new version also incorporates some structural changes. ISO 9001:2015 is based on a high-level structure. This is a set of 10 clauses that are now shared by all ISO management-system standards, giving them a consistent structure. All new standards with this high-level structure share a common text as well as containing discipline-specific texts tailored to the particular management system in question.
The use of this new framework offers some significant advantages to companies:
- The standard is easier to read and understand thanks to its more accessible language
- Multiple management systems can be more easily integrated since they all share the same basic structure: scope, normative references, terms and definitions, context of the organisation, leadership, planning, support, operation, performance evaluation and improvement
- Companies can foresee and plan for changes
- Organisations are encouraged to improve
What are the benefits of ISO 9001?
The ISO 9001 standard offers multiple advantages to companies. It is a tool with which to identify quality-related aspects that the company could improve. Its ultimate aim is organisational excellence. The implementation of ISO 9001 is of benefit to companies both internally and externally.
At an internal level, ISO 9001:
- Helps a company to detect and address its weak points through a risk assessment of its processes
- Increases productivity by offering greater control over processes
- Significantly reduces costs related to poor quality
- Strengthens the relationships between departments as a result of the leadership and staff involvement required
At an external level, ISO 9001:
- Offers businesses a competitive advantage over market competitors
- Improves a company’s image in terms of quality
- Increases confidence among clients and end users
- Boosts access to new markets
What types of businesses can gain ISO 9001 certification?
This international standard can apply to any company, regardless of sector or size. Implementation of the ISO 9001 standard is particularly recommended for companies that are striving for quality excellence, increased confidence among clients at a global level and/or access to new markets.
Why certify with Applus+ Certification?
Applus+ Certification is the Applus+ management-system certification unit. It is founded on the principles of independence and impartiality. Our end goal is to:
- Help our clients achieve and demonstrate their commitment to ongoing improvement
- Certify our clients’ compliance with the most exacting of standards by way of second-party and third-party audits
- Ensure that our clients’ products gain access to international markets