Information is one of the most important of any company’s assets. Organisations handle and store a vast amount of confidential or sensitive data in their systems, which must remain accessible as well as secure at all times.
An information security management system (ISMS) allows organisations systematically and efficiently to understand, manage and minimise information-security risks. The appropriate implementation and certification of such a system provides an assurance of the confidentiality, integrity and availability of stored data.
Certified information security management systems foster confidence among clients and improve company efficiency. ISO 27001:2013 is currently the most widely recognised standard for managing information security. This international standard was drawn up by ISO (International Organization for Standardization) in 2005 in order to safeguard the security of company-held information. It was revised in 2013 in response to needs that had become apparent during the eight years the standard had been in use. One change made was the standard’s alignment with Annex SL, bringing it into line with a high-level structure. This new structure permits organisations to enhance their health and safety and environmental performance and also facilitates the standard’s integration with other management systems.
What are the objectives of an ISO 27001:2013-certified ISMS?
- To protect data and guarantee its security
- To identify risks resulting from data storage
- To facilitate understanding of the standard and its integration with other management systems
What are the benefits of ISO 27001?
- Reduced information-security risks (data loss, theft, corruption, etc.)
- Legal compliance
- Reduced costs and improved functioning of processes
- Enhanced client confidence that data entrusted to the organisation will be handled appropriately
- An improved competitive advantage
- Increased staff awareness of the importance of information security
- Improved organisational efficiency
- Simpler integration with other management-system standards such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
Who is this standard targeted at?
Any organisation can certify its ISMS under ISO 27001:2013, regardless of its size or sector.
At the moment, this standard is implemented most frequently by IT, insurance, retail and transport companies, as well as public sector bodies.
Why certify with Applus+ Certification?
Applus+ Certification is a prestigious independent body that was established to help organisations achieve their aim of continual improvement. We assess the individual needs of our clients so that our auditors, who specialise in the sectors in question, can add maximum value while assessing an organisation’s compliance.
Our team of professionals draw up customised certification plans taking into account the client’s structure, processes and area of activity. Our global presence, extensive product portfolio and wide-ranging accreditations enable us to provide our clients with a comprehensive, expert and tailormade service.